Tuesday, October 5, 2010

The Important Thing...

There is a great picture book by Margaret Wise Brown (the author of Goodnight Moon) called The Important Book.  It's a very old book with unbelievably simple, but beautiful illustrations by Leonard Weisgard.  If you've never read it, please do.  Anyway.  The book is a series of short poems written about various objects.  One page features an illustration of rain and says:

"The important thing about rain is that it is wet.  It falls out of the sky, and it sounds like rain, and makes things shiny, and it does not taste like anything, and is the color of air.  But the important thing about rain is that it is wet."

So, pretty basic, but the kids love the repetition and it is the perfect way to teach main idea and details to 2nd graders.  After we read the book, I had each student write a similar poem about themselves.  Here is mine:

"The important thing about Miss Gibbs is that she loves being a librarian.  She also likes the color red and reading books.  But the important thing about Miss Gibbs is that she loves being a librarian."

I thought this was a creative assignment and the kids seemed to have a blast doing it. However, I was unprepared for the hilarity that was J's poem.

"The important thing about J is that he loves to wear super skinny jeans and dance!!!! He also looks really cool.  But the important thing about J is that he loves to wear super skinny jeans and dance!!!"


This kid is just counting down the days until he can throw on some glitter, his favorite skinnys, and dance his life away at the Gay 90's on a Saturday night.  If I'm lucky, he'll let me join him.  

My second favorite was D's, a chubby little Hispanic boy with beautiful handwriting.  D's poem read:

"The important thing about D is that he loves to clean the house!"

I know that's inappropriate, but it is also funny.  For me, funny usually triumphs.  Plus, you know you laughed.

Anyway, my favorite thing about this assignment was how confident the kids were about their poems.  It was a struggle for me to think of something (hence my pretty lame poem), but not second graders.  Multiple papers said, "he's so funny", "she's nice", "she's cool".  If only that confidence followed us forever.

1 comment:

  1. This is my favorite post Georgie...I am going to share your blog with everyone I know...you will be up to 25 followers in no time.

    ReplyDelete