Thursday, November 11, 2010

Take a Break

My school uses a form of classroom management called Responsive Classroom.  The goal is to create optimal student learning by teaching them academic and social-emotional skills.  Basically, in order to succeed academically, a child needs to have social skills like empathy, responsibility, cooperation, and self-control.  Makes sense to me and seems to be fairly effective at my school.  One component of a Responsive Classroom is the Take A Break chair.  

If students are disrupting class and not following instructions, I say "Take a Break".  Ideally, Take a Break is not supposed to be a punishment but a time for students to gain or regain control quietly.  It's a time for them to think about their behavior and the possible choices they have regarding their behavior.  I had my doubts but I'd say the Take a Break chair is incredibly effective.  In fact, I think there should be Take a Break chairs available for adults.  Especially at the bar! Think of all the fights that could be avoided if the bartender made the dueling parties simple Take a Break.  I'd like to use it on friends and family sometimes too when they won't agree with me on something.  I'm not sure how well that would go over...

1 comment:

  1. Hm, maybe I need to start trying this with my 4 1/2 yr old.

    ReplyDelete