Monday, November 1, 2010

Weeding 101

I am a huge fan of the blog http://awfullibrarybooks.wordpress.com/.  If you haven't seen it, you need to soon.  In September, I was lucky enough to see the creators at my nerd conference (the SD Libraries Association conference) and they were hilarious.  And not just in a dorky librarian way.  Anyway, their blog is a record of ridiculous books they and other librarians have weeded from their libraries.  Weeding is when libraries remove dated, duplicated, or damaged books from the collection.  In my case, books that do not support the curriculum or needs of the students would also be removed.  Weeding should be done often to ensure that your library has a top notch collection.

Much to my delight, my principal has given me the go ahead to do some significant weeding.  I love getting rid of crap.  You can be sure I will never end up on an episode of hoarders.  If it hasn't been used in over a year and has no significant or monetary value, it's gone.  You can ask my friend MW, whom I've helped purge things from her closet,  I'm pretty ruthless.  So, for me, the last couple weeks of weeding at the library have been wonderful.  Especially when I find gems like this one that deserve their own post on Awful Library Books.

Let's Talk About Disabled People (1992)
The cover alone convinced me that this book should be weeded, but I couldn't find the cover art online so I'll have to take a picture and upload it for you later.  However, this line from the book is yet another reason that I said buh-bye to Let's Talk About Disabled People.

"If you've ever broken your ankle, you know what it's like to be disabled."

Um, maybe. But I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the average physically disabled person would disagree.  Let's NOT talk about disabled people like that, thank you.

Stay tuned because there are sure to be more of these gems sitting on the shelves.

2 comments:

  1. This is awesome! What happens to the weeded books? Do you get to keep them??

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is kind of a bone of contention. I am of the belief, as are most librarians, that if a book is so awful we can't keep it on our shelves, than it would be irresponsible to give that book away to patrons or community members. Especially if the book was removed for damages or inaccurate and dated information. In this case, I think it best to throw the book away. However, the average community member feels differently. People become incredibly angry when you tell them that a book is being thrown in the garbage. I can kind of understand where they are coming from, but if it's a crappy book that's where it belongs. As far as my weeding project? I'll pick out the least damaged and ridiculously dated books and give them away to students. The rest will likely be pitched.

    ReplyDelete