Thursday, December 2, 2010

Flow It, Show It, Long as God Can Grow It

My hair has always been a constant source of obsession for me.  It's been short, long, curly and straight.  It's been blonde, brown, red and even pink.  Throughout my life, I've spent a ridiculous amount of time worrying about the status of not-so-lustrous locks.  Until now this preoccupation has been primarily my own.  Now, I have a school full of children also fascinated by my follicles.

I can't do a thing to it without some kind of comment:
"You dyed your hair!" Nope, I just straightened it.
"Miss Gibbs, did you cut your hair?" No, but I'll be sure to let you know when I do.
"I like your ponytail." Thanks, this ponytail means I failed to wash my hair today.
I am not exaggerating.  At least once a week I receive a question or comment regarding my hair.  The funniest part is I haven't done anything to my hair since September.  

Well, yesterday it all came to a head (pun intended)  after a visit to the salon to have my hair cut and colored.  That morning I prepared myself for the onslaught of questions from my kiddos and I was not disappointed:

"You dye your hair every week." Not true. 
"Did you cut your hair?" Yes.
"Your hair is different.  You look a little bit the same as you always do." I don't even know what this means. 
"Did you cut your bangs? I love them!" Yes, I did.  Thank you potentially gay boy student.  
"Your hair has a lot of static in it." This comment followed with a 5th grade student actually petting my hair during class.  Classroom management fail.  

But none of them top the comment from a brutally honest first grader:

"What did you do to your hair?!?" This was said in a tone of disgusted shock with a facial expression to match.  I guess she didn't like it.  I'm just glad she didn't see my mini-mullet from 1986. 

No comments:

Post a Comment