Monday, December 13, 2010

I Finally Found Alaska

My fellow Young Adult Fiction fans have been encouraging me to read Looking for Alaska by John Green for awhile now.  Last week, after too many signs from the universe, I finally did.  So, what did I think of this Printz Award Winner? It was good.  Not great.  It moved a little slowly for me at times, the answer to the book's big misunderstanding seemed laughably obvious, and the kids talked a little too much like Dawson and Joey.  That being said, I felt a connection to the characters and was engrossed in their lives and I'd recommend it to other YA fans and especially to teens.  Ultimately, I'm glad I read for this quote alone:

"'Jesus, I'm not going to be one of those people who sits around talking about what they're gonna do.  I'm just going to do it. Imagining the future is a kind of nostalgia.'
'Huh? I asked.  
'You spend your whole life stuck in a labryinth, thinking about how you'll escape it one day, and how awesome it will be, and imagining that future keeps you going, but you never do it.  You just use the future to escape the present.'" 
--John Green, "Looking for Alaska"

No comments:

Post a Comment