Friday, February 25, 2011

"Oh My Gosh, This Book is So Good!!!": Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes

Every week I struggle to come up with lessons for my preschool classes.  Luckily, my friend MP teaches preschool in the district and recommended a fabulous book, Pete the Cat: I Love My White Shoes.  I used it this week and I'm completely obsessed.  The book, written by Eric Litman (Mr. Eric) and illustrated by James Dean (the artist, not the dead actor), follows Pete the Cat as he walks through town in his brand new white shoes.  As he walks, he sings this song: I Love My White Shoes, I Love My White Shoes, I Love My White Shoes.  Unfortunately for Pete, his route is littered with messiness in the form of strawberries, blueberries, and mud puddles.  Uh oh! Suddenly, Pete's shoes aren't quite so white anymore.  Don't worry, as far as cats go, Pete's pretty laid back and he's not letting some messy shoes get him down.  He just keeps "walking along and singing his song".

The coolest part about Pete the Cat? The author, Mr. Eric, is also a singer and composed the most adorable song to go with the book.  I read it to the kids first and then played the song as I turned the pages.  They freaking LOVED it!! Seriously, I blew some preschool mind with Pete the Cat.  Kids were singing, kids were dancing, kids were laughing. A successful lesson if I do say so myself.  This book is incredibly interactive and an excellent tool for learning about colors.  Watch these adorable little girls read the book below and then go buy this book or I'll be really mad.  Not really.  But you will be missing out.

No comments:

Post a Comment