Wednesday, February 2, 2011

White Man Guilt

Remember my lesson on MLK? Well, there was another hilarious story from that lesson.

The second graders and I were discussing the treatment of black people after the story and J raises her hand.

Time out, Zack Morris style.  First of all, J drives me nuts.  I think its because she reminds me of myself when I was in elementary school.  She is a BIG know it all.  I hate know-it-alls.  Especially 8 year old know it alls.  But as they say, it takes one to know one.  Not only is J a know it all, but she also is a really good reader and is constantly bragging about the fact that she reads at a 6th grade level so she can check out books from the 3-5 grade shelves.  Again, something that annoying 2nd grade Georgie also did.  Gross.  Also, and this will be important in a minute, J is white, blonde and blue-eyed.

So, as I was saying, J raises her hand and I inwardly groan, but call on her anyway.  Thank god I did because it doesn't get much better than this:

 "Miss Gibbs, I just want everyone to know we're just talking about black people right now.  We're not making fun of them. We're just talking ABOUT how they USED to be treated."

Ha! Thanks for clarifying J.  The best part was that the rest of the kids looked at her like, "Duh.  You're a freaking weirdo."

No comments:

Post a Comment