Tuesday, March 29, 2011

1Bruce1

If you know what the title of this blog means, then we are clearly soulmates.  If you don't, you have some homework to do.

As some of you probably know, I have been impatiently waiting for the release of Sweet Valley Confidential for over a year.  Well, today is the day.  As soon as I finished work I rushed to Barnes and Noble to get my hot little hands on the most hotly anticipated new release in years (okay, maybe I'm exaggerating). 

So, I've been considering pre-ordering this book from Amazon for months because I thought there would be a mad rush at BN on March 29th.  I was envisioning a Harry Potter-esque extravaganza.  I even entertained the thought that people would be dressed as characters from the book (I'd been thinking about an Enid Rollins costume for days).  Once again, my ability to set unbelievable and glamorous expectations for an event was awe inspiring.  In truth, the book hadn't even been placed on the shelves yet and I definitely didn't have to beat down any other SVH fans in order to score my own copy.  Instead, I awkwardly asked the kid at the information desk if he could check for the book in the stockroom.  I have no shame. 

I read most of the series between the ages of 10 and 15.  Even at this age, it was clear to me that some of (okay, most of) the scenarios were completely ridiculous.  Sweet Valley High wasn't exactly realistic fiction.  I mean, amnesia, multiple dead boyfriends, stalkers, twin switches.  These were not things I  or my fellow students were dealing with at LHS.  But that's what made it so wonderful!

Well, is Sweet Valley Confidential everything I hoped it would be? Oh yes.  It's awesomely bad, just like the rest of the series.  Francine Pascal outdoes herself with this one.  There's death, affairs, divorces, some surprising arrivals from the closet (Yes!! Gays!!), and even a steamy sex scene.  Love it! Love all of it!  So despite the bizarre writing style and the unbelievably hysterical plot devices, I still love Sweet Valley and I'm not ashamed to say it.

3 comments:

  1. So do I have any chance at all of being the Superintendent at Sweet Valley High?? They do have school administrators in the stories don't they? If not, then they are totally unrealistic

    ReplyDelete
  2. hmmm...I may need to pick this up next time at the library! It's been years since I've read a Sweet Valley High book - I always wanted to be a twin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy HELL! I did not realize this book existed! I too read the entire series, I think I still have it in the bookcase headboard of my old bed at my parents house! I always wanted a Fiat spider to drive. I knew it had to be the coolest car out there.

    ReplyDelete