Friday, March 4, 2011

Reading has gone to the dogs.

I came across this article about a program called READ (Reading Education Assistance Dogs).  The program works by having early or struggling readers read aloud to a trained dog instead of another person. I became familiar with the program while living in Denver and it's such a simple, but effective, idea.  Kids tend to feel less self-conscious about reading because they do not fear judgement from their canine reading buddy. I'm not sure on the dog's feelings, but the greyhound above seems pretty relaxed...maybe a little too relaxed.  I'm not aware of a similar program in SD, but it would be exciting to see one begin.  Here's the article:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2011/feb/28/dogs-listen-to-children-reading

1 comment:

  1. What a fantastic idea! I'm not even a librarian or a primary teacher but I was so excited learning about this! Now, if only my nephew were old enough to learn to read and I could sit he and his chocolate lab down for some story time....

    ReplyDelete