Thursday, April 21, 2011

Are You My Mother?

Some days I leave the school thinking, "How can I possibly do this again tomorrow?".  Usually these dour thoughts come to me after a day like Tuesday when I've just finished teaching 8 classes, four of which were Kindergartners.  Luckily, days like that are often followed by a pretty magical day that has me thinking things like, "Georgie, you're pretty freaking awesome. You should probably continue to be a school librarian for the rest of your life."  Wednesday happened to be one of those days.

Every Wednesday I have four Preschool classes visit the library.  Most Wednesdays I dread this because I usually have no idea what to do with them.  They only come for 15 minute increments, they don't check out books, and honestly they can't really do a lot of stuff.  Okay, that's not true.  They are really good at interrupting storytime with unrelated tales about their dead grandma or cute dog, screaming at their friends across the circle, and coloring on my tables.  Fortunately for them, they are also superb at being adorable so I can easily forgive them for their shortcomings.  So after months of stress over Preschool library lessons, I finally sought help from a 4th grade teacher (a former Preschool teacher) who informed me I was overthinking things.  "Keep it simple", she said, "they're 3.  It doesn't have to be rocket science." I took her advice and on Wednesday ended up with a pretty successful lesson.

I started by reading them Are You My Mother? by P.D. Eastman, a classic and one of my favorite books as a kid.  After I finished, I held up baby animals (I borrowed a bucket of them from the Preschool room) and had the kids name each one.  Then I asked, "Who's their mother? Can you help me find her?" The kids came up and dug through the bucket until they found the correct parent.  Super easy, right?

So, our 15 minutes are finally up.  I'm thinking that things went pretty well, but am primarily relieved that its over.  I begin to thank them for coming and before I can get all the words out the kids are clapping.  Furiously applauding my lesson! Yes! I win! They like me! They really like me! I guess I'll be back tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Love it! This is one of my favorite books too (and I think it's starting to grow on Caroline too)

    ReplyDelete