Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Bubble Tests

It is standardized test time at school right now. Gross.  I read the test to a group of ELL students so I can tell you first hand, these tests are boring.  And if I'm bored, you can imagine how bored a 5th grade boy is? I had to bribe them with snacks to keep them interested.  There has to be a better way to guage the academic success of our students.  Standardized tests only punish schools, teachers, and students.  Whoa.  I'll get off my soapbox now. Anyway!

One statement teachers hear constantly is, "don't teach to the test".  Well there must be a little of that going on at my school lately because I had a hilarious encounter with a 1st grader yesterday.

I read the students Bubba the Cowboy Prince, which is a fractured fairy tale based upon Cinderella.  After we finished, we did a compare and contrast using the two books.  When we were all finished I asked the class why they thought it was important that they know this skill and one little girl answered, "Because it's on the bubble test?"

1 comment:

  1. Too funny! At least we are honest with them!! :-)

    ReplyDelete