Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Happy Birthday, Beverly Cleary!

I came across this wonderful editorial yesterday about Beverly Cleary, who yesterday turned 95...and is still writing! Unbelievable! Beverly Cleary was one of my favorite authors growing up. I thought Ramona Quimby books were about as good as it could get, but I also held a special place in my heart for Henry Huggins, Ralph S. Mouse, and Beezus (although she could be such a b!). 

Last year, I did an author study for my children's lit class on Beverly Cleary and after I finished, my professor questioned my choice and whether or not Cleary was still a relevant author to today's kids.  Well, after nearly a year as a school librarian I can safely say, yes! Undoubtedly!  Some of the details may be lost on them (e.g. rotary phones), but The Mouse and the Motorcycle and Ramona and her Father are still crowd pleasers, and in my opinion, always will be.

Thanks Beverly Cleary and Happy 95th!

No comments:

Post a Comment