Friday, May 13, 2011

"Would you like to come to my pants party?"

Every month I make a small list of new books being released.  I eagerly await the release date like it's my birthday. Usually I can find the books at Barnes and Noble or Wal-Mart, but lately I've been pre-ordering them on Amazon for my Kindle.  It's pretty much the coolest thing ever (if you're a nerd).  I wake up the morning the book is released and it is right there waiting. Of course, it is always on a Wednesday (FYI new books are released on Tuesdays), so I have to wait until after work to read it (bummer). 

As of today, this month's list only includes 2 books (typically there are at least 3 or 4).  The one I am most excited about is Sisterhood Everlasting by Ann Brashares.  I am a HUGE fan of the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants series (and the subsequent movie...am I the only that cries every time I watch the scene where Carmen calls her dad after her big meltdown?) and I'm not ashamed to say it.  I know I am not exactly their target reader, but I love them just the same.  I think the author does such a wonderful job of portraying female relationships, between teenage girls and between the girls and their mothers. The girls in the book aren't mean, catty, promiscuous, using drugs, etc.  Young girls see enough of this kind of behavior in other book series (Gossip Girl), television (Gossip Girl again), and among their peers.  I think it's nice to read something that portrays real girls (for the most part) dealing with real problems.  Additionally, when I finished each book (particularly the second book), I just felt so good, which is not always the case when I finish a YA book.

Many YA novels out there can be a little depressing.  Okay, a LOT depressing.  For awhile I couldn't read one where someone didn't die.  I've since found some really great YA novels (the Summer Series by Jenny Han) that aren't compelling me to stick my head in an oven, but the Sisterhood Series is still one of my favorites. 

The newest book in the series comes out June 14th and follows the girls through early adulthood.  Here's a synopsis:

From #1 New York Times bestselling author Ann Brashares comes the welcome return of the characters whose friendship became a touchstone for a generation. Now Tibby, Lena, Carmen, and Bridget have grown up, starting their lives on their own. And though the jeans they shared are long gone, the sisterhood is everlasting.


Despite having jobs and men that they love, each knows that something is missing: the closeness that once sustained them. Carmen is a successful actress in New York, engaged to be married, but misses her friends. Lena finds solace in her art, teaching in Rhode Island, but still thinks of Kostos and the road she didn’t take. Bridget lives with her longtime boyfriend, Eric, in San Francisco, and though a part of her wants to settle down, a bigger part can’t seem to shed her old restlessness.
Then Tibby reaches out to bridge the distance, sending the others plane tickets for a reunion that they all breathlessly await. And indeed, it will change their lives forever—but in ways that none of them could ever have expected.
As moving and life-changing as an encounter with long-lost best friends, Sisterhood Everlasting is a powerful story about growing up, losing your way, and finding the courage to create a new one.
 
AHHH! Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment