Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The Nose Knows

Today I worked with a group of second graders as they practiced finding "just right" books (books at their level, but also hold their interest).  Each student chose a book from a bin of weeded books and then used the 5 Finger Rule to determine (on their own) if a book was too easy, too hard, or just right.  After deciding, the student then met with me to see if their determination was correct.

Because I'm in charge (and don't you forget it!), the kids sat on the floor while I lounged in my big, pink chair like I'm Queen Elizabeth.  I helped one student and then another, all the while noticing a little girl (whom I'd already helped and sent back to her classroom) getting closer and closer to me on my right side.  I continued to help the other kids until finally I became too distracted because this girl was now all up in my business. She has velcroed her butt to the arm of my big, pink chair and glued her body to my right side.  "I thought you went back to class.  Do you need something else, T?", I say.  "No.  You just smell soooooo gooooood."  It was a very cute/creepy moment for me that was oddly similar to getting a compliment from a dirty old man.  You're flattered that someone has noticed your obvious appeal, but wish it had been delivered in a less creepy manner.  I'll take what I can get on a Tuesday. 

1 comment:

  1. Lol love this story! I love reading your posts bc I can just hear you telling the story!!

    ReplyDelete