Friday, September 9, 2011

Gentlemen, take note.

Today the third graders and I discussed the importance of good book care.  I'm not sure if you know, but library books belong to everyone that visits the library.  Because of this, it's pretty important that you don't spill your coffee on them, wipe your chocolatey fingers on the pages, or blow your disgusting boogers on them (I mention all of these things, because I've seen all of these things on library books).  Part of today's lesson included a tragic story from my past where I, a real live librarian, damaged a library book. 
Yeah, I probably wouldn't put this back on the shelf.  Game over, book.

In 4th grade I accidentally dropped a book from my teacher's classroom library in the toilet.  Despite my best efforts to fix it, this book was destroyed.  It seriously looked like it had been found in the street after Hurricane Irene (or was it a tropical storm?).  Crap.  Instead of coming clean to my teacher (as my third grade students suggested) I snuck the book back on the shelf and scribbled my name off the sheet so my teacher wouldn't know I had borrowed it.  End of story.  But not really!  For 16 years I have been ridden with guilt! I tried to convey this intense, sixteen year guilt to my students with the hope that their personal policies always include honesty (unlike their shady librarian).  Instead, the kids seemed to be very distracted by my age. 

"How old were you dropped your book in the toilet?"
"You've felt guilty for 16 years? How old does that make you now?"
"So, you're 16 now?"

I was getting questions like these from right and left until finally one student pipes up and says, "Don't you know you're never supposed to ask a woman her age.  That's what my dad says."

That's all it took.  Questions about my age? Over.  Thank you, kid and a big thank you to your very smart dad.

1 comment:

  1. I also have library guilt from childhood! I didn't destroy a book, but kept it WELL beyond its due date and somehow didn't get fines. I still feel like I should go to that library and give them $100 or something to make up for it.

    I also think it's hilarious that the kids were so interested in finding out your age. Ah, children.

    ReplyDelete