Friday, December 9, 2011

Finally.

No, I'm not talking about how long it has taken me to update my blog (but it has been a LONG time).  Nope, I'm finally going to tell you about my favorite YA (Young Adult) series.  Well, I guess I should rephrase that.  I am going to tell you about my favorite YA series that doesn't include a super intense teenage death battle (if you don't know what I'm talking about, you have some reading to do). 

Book that includes a super intense teenage death battle
Anyway, my last quarter of graduate school I took a YA Literature class that required me to complete a 40+ book database of YA novels.  We didn't have to read all of them, but we did have to write a brief summary of the book, provide publishing info and book specs, and determine the book's audience.  Obviously,  I saved this incredibly huge project for the last week of class.  Although I was frantically trying to finish the database and had time for little else, I started reading one of the books and inevitably became engrossed.  Or maybe obsessed is a better word.

I read it when I was supposed to be working on my project.  I read it when I was supposed to be helping the kids I nannied with their homework.  I definitely read it when I was supposed to be watching them play 1st grade League Basketball.  I started the book at 12:00 pm and I finished it by 6:00 pm.  Awesome, right? No, not really.  It was January and the next book in the series didn't come out until April.  April!! How was I supposed to wait this long?!?

Well, I found other books and characters to distract me and in April that book was mine.  The day it came out.  And when the third book came out a year later? I was there to pick that one up too.  So what is this unbelievable series that had me creeping around the YA stacks at Barnes and Noble like a coke fiend?

That would be the Summer series by Jenny Han (more about her soon).
The first book in the series is The Summer I Turned Pretty and I promise as soon as you finish, you'll be racing out to Barnes and Noble to get the next book, It's Not Summer Without You.  And if you're like me, you'll finish it at 2:00 am and not be able to sleep until you buy the third one on your Kindle.   Seriously, they are that good.  So what are they about? I don't want to give too much away but it may include a love triangle.  A love triangle that includes brothers.  And a beautiful beach house.  And sick mothers.  And romance.  And heartbreak.  (For some of my male readers, this may not be your kind of book.)  I've recommended these to multiple people and I've never heard a bad review.  Plus, these are an excellent read for these cold winter months when you're freezing your ass off, because for a few hours, you get to pretend it's summer (and that you're sixteen and caught in a love triangle with two adorable boys...okay, maybe just I did that.)  Happy reading and let me know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment