Wednesday, January 23, 2013

"What'chu Readin', Girl?" Wild by Carol Strayed

So, I heard about this book, like a lot of people, from Oprah.  Oprah's Book Club picks are really hit and miss for me, but I really enjoy non-fiction narratives so I bought it.  Actually, that's not true.  I told my dad that he should buy it so I could borrow it when he finished.  Because you can still freeload off your parents when you're 28.  After a minor SNAFU with the postal service (they put my book in the wrong mailbox that just happened to be opened so I peeked inside and found my book!) and a great review by my dad, I was ready to start. 

Basically, this book is about a woman who decides to hike the Pacific Crest Trail when her life spirals out of control (divorce, drug abuse, promiscuous sex) after the death of her mother.  For those of you that don't know (like me), the Pacific Crest Trail is a long distance hiking trail that stretches from the Mexican Border to the Canadian border, running through California, Oregon, and Washington.  Some highlights include the Sierra Nevada and Cascade Range, Crater Lake, and the Bridge of the Gods. 

Now, I'm just mildly interested in hiking.  Which is to say, I'm not interested in hiking at all.  I mean, I'll go.  Especially if I'm guilted into or if everyone is going and I don't want to be left out of all the inside jokes that would inevitably develop, because there is absolutely nothing worse than being on the outside of an inside joke! 


However, despite my indifference about hiking, I found this book incredibly entertaining and ultimately convinced myself that I could hike the Pacific Crest Trail.  You're probably laughing about that because you know me and you know that I've probably only hiked like twice in my whole life, but you'll feel the same way after reading this book because the author is extremely ill prepared for this trip.  I've never taken a long distance hike in my life and it was quite obvious to me that Ms. Strayed had no idea what she was doing.  She didn't know how to use a compass! Granted, I don't either, but I'm not attempting a 2000 mile hike anytime soon. 

I also found the author to be a little over emotional, whiny and prone to panic, but that's probably just me being a cold, emotionless bitch.  That being said, I did buy her other book Tiny Beautiful Things, so it obviously wasn't too offputting.  All in all, it's a quick, interesting read that I've already recommended to others. 

Great Read for..hiking/outdoor enthusiasts, people just mildly interested in hiking/outdoors, fans of non-fiction narratives, memoirs

2 comments:

  1. I want to freeload off of you....send me her new book when your done!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm...Not sure if I want to read this or not! Like you, I'm not a hiker, but mayhaps would want to some day!

    ReplyDelete